Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Decorator Goes Green

Right now, I've decided to be a greener person.

I've always been pretty green, but as the new year is here I realize that my husband is NOT very green at all.

Here's some tips of mine that I (yes, me) do on a daily basis. They're all pretty easy and most are money saving too. Remember, the less you buy the less you throw out.



1. Buy Energy star products for your home. Less emisions equals more time on our planet. I particularly like this chandelier. Totally chic, ready to plug in and save you some money!

2. Use glass canisters for storing your food. Plastic leaks chemicals into your food, glass doesn't. Isn't that enough to be said? Oh yeah, and you can also wash glass canisters and reuse them. Most people just throw plastic away.

3. Buy Method cleaning products. Or make your own. Either way, you're not dumping chemicals down the drain (though I always think, isn't bleach better than human feces??? Answer that one green do-gooders!!!). And don't forget the microfiber cloths. They're useful for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. Especially in the bathroom. (I still can't get away with using anything but paper towels while scrubbing the toilet, I like to know that I'm throwing away the bleach with germs stuck to it).

4. Buy an old phone. Get a restored one instead of hitting up your nearest Target or Best Buy. In fact, if you want a cordless - I have one in my closet that someone can have. Message me about it and you can either a) pick it up or b) I can ship it to you.

5. Remember to bring reusable bags with you to the grocery store. I bought some animal print ones at Pier 1 for $1.99 each.

Yeah, I'm slowly turning. I'm a treehugger. I'm an earthlover. And I like snowboarding and being organic. It's hard to start new habits when you're so used to doing old ones. Start off easy by picking up the cleaning products. You'll first notice that there's no harsh chemicals, then you'll notice that you don't need as much lotion on your hands. You'll feel super dorky with the reusable bags, but that's ok - it's better to be an earth lover than it is to be an earth hater and getting those plastic bags that you'll never reuse!

Next on my list - organic sheets and towels. I want to be healthy for the new year!

PSH

No comments: